The holidays can be a joyous yet stressful time of the year for children as well as parents. Even the youngest of children can be affected by the chaos and anxiety that sometimes surrounds the holidays. Below are some relaxing activities that a family can do together that may help to reduce stress and ensure a more enjoyable holiday season.
- Spend some time in the kitchen with your children making simple holiday goodies for friends and neighbors. Even toddlers can dip pretzels into chocolate or put sprinkles on cookies.
- Make homemade holiday cards for friends and family. Use fun craft materials such as pompoms and squiggly eyes to boost creativity.
- Spend an evening watching past holiday videos of your family.
- Make a “What we are thankful for” family journal, assigning each family member their own page. Include drawings and photos to make the journal complete.
- Take a walk to find treasures in nature. Bring your treasures home and make them into a decorative wreath.
- Help others together. Volunteer as a family at your local food pantry, animal shelter or even as Salvation Army bell ringers.
- Make simple holiday decorations and ornaments for your home.
- Snuggle up and read holiday stories together while sipping hot chocolate.
- Have a family PJ night. Grab blankets and pillows, make popcorn, and watch favorite holiday shows.Take a leisurely drive through neighborhoods enjoying holiday decorations.