Skip links

Bullying

What is bullying?

• Can be verbal and/or physical harassment and ranges from teasing and gossip to hitting

How do I know if my child is being bullied?

• Your child might not want to go to school.
  • Your child might have anxiety about going to school.
  • Your child might have frequent headaches, stomachaches, other non-specific complaints.
  • Ask your child if he is being teased or ask open-ended questions like, “What is school like at lunchtime or recess.” These are times when bullying is prevalent.

What  do I do when I find out my child is being bullied?

• Talk with school officials so that supervision can be increased and intervention can be made if necessary.
  • Teach your child not to give in to the bully’s demands. This will only fuel the bully’s fire. Teach your child to walk away while staying calm. Teach your child to be assertive by making eye contact with the bully and telling the bully to leave him alone. Try acting out the scenario with your child to help prepare them for interactions with the bully.
  • Do not teach your child how to fight back physically. This could cause your child to get in trouble at school or cause one or both children to get hurt.

Keep in mind that all children should be aware that bullying is not socially acceptable. Even if your child is not a victim, help them understand what bullying is and how they can help other children by telling an adult if she sees another child being bullied.

Return to top of page